(8 servings) Ingredients:
3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 10-11 oz fully cooked smoked Italian sausage cut crosswise into ¼ inch thick slices
2 medium onions, chopped
2 large garlic cloves, minced
2 lbs sweet potato, peeled quartered lengthwise, cut crosswise into ¼ inch thick slices
1 lb potatoes, peeled, halved lengthwise, cut crosswise into ¼ inch thick slices
6 cups chicken broth
1 9-oz bag fresh spinach Method:
1. Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add sausage; cook until brown, stirring often, about 8 minutes.
2. Transfer sausage to paper towels to drain. Add onions and garlic to pot and cook until translucent, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Add all potatoes and cook until beginning to soften, stirring often about 12 minutes.
3. Add broth; bring to boil, scraping up browned bits. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until potatoes are soft, stirring occassionaly, about 20 minutes.
4. Using potato masher, mash some of potatoes in pot. Add browned sausage to soup. Stir in spinach and simmer until just wilted, about 5 minutes.
5. Stir in remaining 1 Tbsp. oil. Season with salt and pepper. Divide among bowls and serve.
Happy Cooking & Eating from Hamanasi’s Kitchen Staff!