- Built within nature. We have conserved our littoral forest, one of the most threatened types of forests in the world as they are cleared for coastal development.
- Maintaining habitat provides home for birds, bats, lizards, orchids, etc.
- A strip of vegetation is kept at the high tide point on beach to minimize erosion and siltation of reefs.
- Set aside 26-acre nature preserve of diverse terrain from ridge to swamp that is teeming with life.
- Enhanced on-site freshwater pond to enrich life for fish, turtles, wading birds and crocodiles.
- Reforesting a previous denuded property that we acquired. The wildlife loves it!
- All of our buildings have plenty of windows to allow the use of natural light.
- Ceiling fans and screened windows in all rooms provide an alternative to air conditioning.
- All faucets are fitted with aerators to reduce water waste.
- Organic Savvy Rest mattresses throughout the hotel.
- Soaps, shampoos and conditioners, as well as cleaning supplies are earth friendly and purchased in bulk.
- Furniture handcrafted using local materials, most produced in Hamanasi's carpentry shop.
- Artwork sourced locally.
- Singanga restaurant has folding doors and transom windows in in the Lookout, as well as two 10-foot Big Ass Fans™ allowing for natural ventilation eliminating need for air conditioning in the restaurant.
- CFL and LED lighting used as much as possible.
- EnergyStar appliances used in kitchen and bar.
- Purchase high quality products in line with our guest needs.
- Ensure reasonable prices to keep down costs.
- Choose products with minimal impact on the environment.
- Buy locally when possible to support the Belizean economy and reduce shipping distance and time.
- Purchase in bulk.
- Buy seafood only when in season.
- Purchase meats and dairy products free of antibiotics and hormones when possible.
- Buy only biodegradable plastic bags. No Styrofoam products are bought/used.
- Inform all of our vendors of our environmental purchasing policies
- Created and maintain an on-site edible garden with a Certificate of Organic Production by the Belize Organic Alliance.
- Plant heirloom, organic seeds when possible. Harvesting seeds from our own crops.
- Protect local bees.
- Utilize nutrient rich vermicompost (worm manure) in nursery production.
- Compost over 100lbs of organic and biodegradable waste each day. Compost reused in planting beds.
- Shavings from carpentry shop used as mulch.
- Use on-property pond for irrigation.
- Provide labeled garbage bins throughout the property to encourage recycling.
- All garbage is sorted for recycling and composting to minimize waste going to the landfill.
- Have eliminated the use of plastic water bottles by providing guests with complimentary refillable stainless steel water bottles.
- Do not have plastic straws. Use local produced bamboo straws when requested.
- Glass bottles that cannot be returned are crushed and reused in pathways and concrete foundations.
- Reuse spent grease and oil in a variety of ways.
- Most of our lighting uses CFL, LED or T5/T8 energy efficient bulbs.
- Housekeeping turn off room air conditioners when guests leave for their daily adventures, turning them back on shortly before they return.
- Turn off lights and electrical equipment when a room is vacant, especially at night.
- Operate a successful linen reuse policy.
- Monitor utility usage and adjust/take actions as needed.
- Will invest in a more energy efficient pool pump.
- Testing on-demand water heating systems.
- Researching grey water systems.
What Can You Do?
If you want to help any of the projects that Hamanasi supports in our community there’s a lot you can do. We are proud members of Pack for a Purpose, an initiative that allows travelers like you to make a lasting impact in the community at your travel destination. If you save just a few kilos of space in your suitcase and take supplies for area schools or medical clinics in need, you’ll make a priceless impact in the lives of our local children and families. Please click here
to see what supplies are needed for our project/projects or contact us
directly with any questions you may have about our various initiatives.
Sustainability tips for your stay at Hamanasi:
- Refill your water bottle for excursions to cut down on waste.
- Reuse your towels to help reduce water and chemical use.
- Have respect for local cultures and customs. Don’t judge. Listen and learn.
- Dispose of all trash responsibly.
- Ensure people’s enjoyment of nature in solitude by traveling quietly.
- When diving and snorkeling never touch plant and animal life. Minimize fin movement, which stirs up sand that can choke the reef.
- Never chase an animal – while hiking, diving or snorkeling.
- Stay on trails.
- Do not take souvenirs from nature or archeological sites.
- Turn off lights, water and air conditioners when you leave your room.
- Minimize water use. Turn off taps when shaving or brushing teeth.
- Join environmental groups and support environmental causes.
- Contribute to the local community by donating time, talent or treasure.
- Learn more and teach others about ways to reduce negative impacts on the environment!
Together we can preserve our world for future generations!
Thank you for helping us to protect our environment. Again, we welcome your ideas feedback and suggestions.
Together we can make a difference!